Welcome to the 7th in our series of 12 tutorials on creating and managing items in the Local Item Editor. In this tutorial, you will learn how to create an “Autoscore Constructed Response” Item in IO Assessment.
Let’s get started!
Autoscore Constructed Response Item
Choose Autoscore Constructed Response from the list of Item Types and complete the Item Information and Item Standards (see Test Item Creation Part 1 - Navigating the Item Editor)
Click in the Stem / Prompt section and start typing, use the toolbar to add styling, images, tables, equations, etc . . .
This item type needs to contain at least one AutoScore Textbox in the stem area.
Every Autoscore Textbox you add generates an AutoScore Field and a corresponding AutoScore Instruction Field
Every Autoscore Field allows you to choose between Text, Integer, and Decimal.
Every corresponding Autoscore Instructions field will allow you to type in the answer you will accept as correct to automatically score these items in an online test. Clicking the + Add Possible Answer allows you to add more possible correct answers for this field.
To add a tool to your item, click on the appropriate tool icon in the top right corner.
Click the “Preview” icon to view, resize, and rotate the tool (resize and rotate only apply to the ruler and protractor)
For help with rubrics please see our Rubric Help Document
Resources, Teacher Instructions, Special Fields, Textbox, and Autoscore Textbox
- Resource - allows you to add word documents, PDFs, audio or video files, etc.
the student will be able to access these files when taking the test online.
- Teacher Instructions - will add another section above the Stem / Prompt where you can enter any special instructions for the teacher.
- Special Fields - will add another section where you can enter any special fields your district has set up. Some of these may include Depth of Knowledge (DOK) and claims/targets. If there is nothing available in the special fields area, and you think there should be, please contact your District Administrator.
- Textbox - an input box for students to enter a short response online, will display as a blank line for printed tests.
- Autoscore Textbox - will add fields for defining correct answers and will automatically score these items in online testing.
Add a Passage
In the upper right corner (above the tools) click Add Passage. Select a passage or create a new passage (see the separate tutorial for “Creating a Passage”). If you have edit and/or copy permission, these options will also be available.
After selecting a passage the button will change to reflect the passage selected.
Preview Your Item
Preview your item by clicking either
Save Your Item
Save your item by clicking