This testing “mode” mirrors the SBAC Secure Browser environment, wherein once logged in, students cannot minimize the test, cannot open up another browser to search for answers, etc. They are locked into the test until completion. Your tech team can push this option out to district devices en masse.
- First, you must purchase a Google for Work and Education account. If you haven’t done so, click here for account info:
Once you’ve purchased a Google for Work and Education account, click here to download the
‘Kiosk mode’ App or search the Chrome Web Store for EADMS: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/eadms-online-testing/aoblhfipgajcgoclknohpamfcpddijcb
- For setup instructions, click here and go to the ‘Kiosk App’ section:
- Keep in mind, you cannot simply ‘Add to Chrome’ and expect Chrome to launch in Kiosk mode.
Chromebooks must be configured to run the app in a higher privileged mode, e.g. ‘Kiosk mode’.
- Once the app has been downloaded and ‘Kiosk mode’ enabled, the test administrator has
several options to launch (follow setup instructions above). Here are a few examples:
- Require the app to run on autostart (Suggested method).
- Or test administrator selects on an as-needed-basis the ‘Kiosk mode’ app from the
Apps menu in the Google taskbar.
- Or the student selects the ‘Kiosk mode’ app from the Apps menu in the Google taskbar.
These directions may need to be adjusted with your particular Windows OS. Please test and confirm the operation before deploying.
1. Create a shortcut. Right-click on Desktop. Select New > Shortcut.
2. Browse to Chrome application, usually found under Program Files (86) > Google > Application.
Select chrome.exe (or iExplore.exe under Program Files (86) > Internet Explorer if you prefer
Internet Explorer). Click Next.
3. Name the shortcut (e.g. IO Assessment Online Testing). Click Finish.
4. Right-click on Shortcut and go to Properties.
5. In the Target box (see below screenshots), replace whatever is there with the following (note:
there’s a space before and after –kiosk):
for Chrome: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” –kiosk
for Internet Explorer: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” –k
6. Click Apply. Click OK to close.
7. Now you can push/copy this shortcut to any Windows computer that you want.
8. This icon will now open Chrome (or Internet Explorer) to the IO Assessment student logon
screen in Kiosk mode. The Start button and all toolbars are hidden. Students cannot open
another browser tab. Ctrl-W will close the window after they are done testing.